Friday, February 3, 2012

IP Weekly Progress -- #16

What I did:

Sunday: (2 hours) Sketches of the overall look. Found textures of various creatures, plants, shells, to inspire self for new paper folds.
Monday: (3 hours) Started making the top of the creature by drawing it as a draft then went immediately to the acid-free tissue paper version and layered it a few times for strength. Little trial and error here though.
Tuesday: (4 hours) Folding paper for the top, but ended up messing up and had to re-make the whole thing.
Wednesday: (3 hours) Cut strips of paper and folded those individually rather than on the actual piece to avoid messing up again.
Thursday: (2 hours): Looking up artists and inspiration to include in thesis. Cut more strips of paper to fold.
Friday (Morning): (2 hours) Started re-writing my thesis by formulating an outline and key points. I finally figured out what I'm doing and focusing on!



Process:

Now that I am making the large piece it's tedious and purely a motivation game. Sometimes it's slow and frustrating (Esp. if I make the wrong size of piece, I can salvage it or scrap it because it doesn't fit anywhere), but usually I enjoy this process of making because I'm motivated by how exciting the final piece will turn out in the show.

What I accomplished/discovered/encountered:

I wrote about my piece in a "pretend" article and I ended up seeing my project in a new light. Currently I'm making the small pieces to this giant creature, but while I do so I have this visual in the back of my head. When I started folding and creating the smaller pieces I have already changed the overall appearance of my creature (I.E. See Post #15 drawings) by incorporating the swirl of a conch shell at the top. Whether I continue with the overall aesthetic could change, but that's just the beauty of my project!

When I shared my article it did not mean anything new to me, but Lauren Korany read my article outloud I realized that there was something I wrote that I didn't notice until then:



"The placement of the ominous creature also allows the audience to experience the sight of the creature floating above you and see bits of detail you couldn’t see from the other side. In a way, the experience of being in a space with this creature is terrifying and also inspiring. We never dream of being alone in an open space with a creature larger than ourselves, but when we find ourselves in such a situation people do not even understand how to feel. How did Lindsay want these people to feel and how does it differ or relate to how she personally feels? This creature is like an ancient being where time as allowed it to fully develop in space."



"After experiencing this godlike creature, one feels sad that there are no large, mysteriously, decorated creatures like this in nature or is there? Lindsay’s piece makes a major comment on what we notice and do not notice in nature. When we do turn our attention to it we see the beauty in the creature and how it has aged over the years."


Back from my IP consultation, I remember when Joe Trumpey shared some interesting pieces of facts for me to consider. The reason why there are not large amebas crawling around is due to the earth's gravity and its biological structure. It couldn't survive in our conditions as a large being. Other reasons for not having large salmon in the rivers or large bison roaming the plains is because of the human impact on their local environments. In most cases because of overfishing or overhunting these lands creatures would not get to be full-size because their life ending early and not repopulating for upkeep. Though a Siphonophore's size varies on the species and where it lives in the world (The deep Arctic Sea or the waters near the Philippines). the benefit of this creature's life is that no one will hunt it for food and therefore it is granted a long lasting life. The other beauty of this creature is that is a colony of multiple little creatures that create a new and rather "raw" entity of nature.


The mysterious and unique look of a siphonophore is thought provoking and raises curiosity with people who look at a picture of this being. I picked to represent this creature as a diplomat of the unique beings found in nature. In the heart of the Amazon you will find beetle of various colors and shapes never seen by eyes but the brave explorers who venue out there. With my IP I am sharing my first discovery and impression of Siphonophores and creating a paper sculpture to represent the delicate and details of this creature for all to admire. By doing so I am recreating this experience for new sets of eyes to look and wonder about.


The multiples of paper folds I am creating come together represent the collective colony of little organisms that make this beautiful jelly. Everyone plays a significant role in the creature's overall lifestyle and through my individually folded pieces weaves together this living society that grows with time. My paper jelly is not only a creature, but an undisturbed timeline of nature.



What I think I should do next:

FOLD MORE MULTIPLES OF FORMS!

Rinse and repeat!

1 comment:

Stephanie Rowden said...

Lindsay,
Great to read your post....and sense you connecting in new ways to your project, and your understanding of your own motivation and passion around it. Do post pictures! Look forward to seeing what's cooking in your studio this week.
--Stephanie