Friday, December 2, 2011

IP Weekly Progress -- #11


What I did:

Thursday: (3 hours) Research – Biomes, Natural Fruits.
Sunday: (4 hours) Developing little plants for a mini model of the installation.
Monday: (5 hours) Putting together the mini model and adding more flora.
Tuesday: (4 hours) Started folding little leaves and plants. Occasional failures here and there, but wrote down some good paperfolding ideas for future flora/fauna.
Wednesday: (1 hour) Replenished materials.
Thursday: (6 hours) Made a giant paper tree installation.



Process:
I was really, really good this week. I think once I let myself free again (IE not getting stuck on form specifics) and went smaller in a model I ended up becoming a lot more productive than I originally intended. I feel now I have a great sense for what kind of paper I want to use too after working this week. I’m much better with bigger sheets of paper than limiting myself to a specific sized rectangle of the 110 lb paper. With pulling paper from a roll I have much more control over what I am trying to produce and don't limit my ideas because of trying to achieve a perfect aesthetic of my paper pieces. The paper tree made on Thursday is a great example of this.




What I accomplished/discovered/encountered:

This week, rather than limit myself to precise techniques and exact forms I decided to try just going at the forms itself with softer 20 lb paper to achieve the look and feel of what the flora looked like inside my head rather than be concerned too much on the technical aspect of how to make them. So what did I do...?

I made a tree!


The "bark" with curved scoring.


I won't lie, It's pretty ugly, but making this really helped me think about what I'm trying to accomplish. The hanging fruit and branch was an after thought, but I wanted to see what it might look like. It looks simple, but I am a fan of how much my thought process has really changed upon making this. It's only a relief because I still need to make half of it and it was just easier to compose the trunk if it was on the wall -- nevertheless, I'm super excited to pull this from the wall and try a 360 version of my tree with actual branches. This is a franken-tree though, since it has a patchwork of different kinds of paper, but if I overlay the "draft" forms with nicer paper it can become an armature. The only issue is I need to make sure it will stand all on it's own. James brought me Tyvek on Thursday and I'm really, really excited to transform my tree with this wonderfully adaptable paper. Tyvek is incredibly strong and can hold itself no problem. I still will need a structure on the inside, but the material can do a lot on it's own and is probably just what I need right now. I think it will really bring out the paper forms and because of it's opaque qualities it definitely has the potential for light to shine through! I will have to test and make sure this is the paper is translucent enough (And won't melt on the inside from the light), but I'm thinking this will be the paper to use!



Earlier in the week I made a mini-model too!







What I think I should do next:

Revise the mini-model and work on a finalized version for the review. I would also like to continue developing a bigger version at the same time so I would get to look at size and scale this way. Basically a repeat of this week.

What do I want to show for my review:

-Sketches/Digital representations of the actual installation piece.
-A good, well made, paper model of my world. Should I add lights in the model?
-Some larger pieces of the flora made just to show my paperfolding techniques.
-Revise my paper tree to show a sense of actual scale in real life. I would take a picture with a person accompanying it.

1 comment:

james said...

The work is looking great and progressing nicely. It is a smart move to work small and move to large; the small scale should give you an idea of compositional issues as you scale up. Taken advantage of the small scale to see your pieces from all sides, that way you can adjust easier as you scale up. For your presentation, I would bring in the lights so your group can clearly see your intentions and understand your motivations. Make it as easy as possible for them to help you, that’s what they are there for.